Our mattresses are magnets for accidentally spilled coffee, milk, tea or food. Cleaning luxurious foam mattresses is quite different from cleaning the traditional box spring mattresses. Here are a few tips on how to get coffee stains out of foam mattresses.
Cleaning fresh stains
Spills are inevitable, especially if you are the breakfast-in-bed kind of person who enjoys a hot cup of coffee, or maybe even a cold coffee shake, in the comfort of your. Nearly everyone loves coffee, but no one loves spilled coffee stains.
You can dump bed covers and sheets in the washer, if you spill your morning coffee in bed, but cleaning the mattresses is not going to be that easy. Washing it under running water is not very practical, and because it cannot be dried out completely, It could cause mold formations, which is really unhealthy (and worse than the coffee stains). Many new websites like have popped up, who review beds and address these kinds of issues.
Below are some easy, inexpensive, but effective stain removal tips. However, don’t panic, act fast and follow the instructions.
1 – Use liquid laundry detergent
When you need to battle with coffee stains on mattresses, liquid laundry detergent can certainly be your first solution.
- One ounce liquid laundry detergent
- One ounce white vinegar (distilled)
- Ten ounces of water
- Cold water
Steps to be taken:
- Make a diluted solution by mixing liquid detergent, water and distilled white vinegar in the exact proportions
- Apply this cleaning solution right on the coffee stains
- Take the brush and gently rub on the stains. It allows the cleaning solution penetrate through the blot.
- Allow the cleaning solution to sit for 10 – 15 minutes, on the stain
- Finally, soak a sponge in clean cool water and blot the coffee mark. Persist on blotting it till the stain disappears.
2 – Use stain remover spray (ready-to-use)
Ready-to-use stain removers, usually as sprays can do the job too. They are specially made to remove coffee stains, from the mattress in this case.
- Clean rags or cloth
- Absorbent paper towels
- Stain remover spray
Steps to be taken:
- As soon as coffee spills, grab some absorbent paper towels. Press them onto the coffee stains, so they may soak up the moisture. Replace used paper napkins with fresh ones, as often as necessary.
- Spray ready-to-use stain remover solution onto the tarnished area.
- let it work for 15 minutes, and check if the coffee stain is entirely covered.
- Take a wet sponge and scrub the blemished area.
- Apply stain remover again, if the stain is persistent.
- Blot the stain again with clean absorbent napkins.
- Finally, use a blow dryer or fan to dry the mattress. Make sure that there is no moisture left, otherwise mold and fungus can develop.
Remember not to use hard cleansing solutions like bleach or hydrogen peroxide for the foam mattresses, you might ruin the mattress for good.