Sleep quality is one of the most important determining factors of one’s health. If you always lack sleep, it can directly affect not just your physical health, but your mental well-being as well. Because of this, it is crucial to ensure that you have anywhere from seven to nine hours of restful sleep per night. This is according to experts from National Sleep Foundation.
If you are one of those who cannot sleep well, then this article will help you a lot. Today, we will be listing some of the simplest, but very effective tips to improve the quality of your sleep. If you want to feel more sharp, energized and happy, then just follow the tips we have listed below.
- Make sure to follow your sleeping routine. It will help a lot if you have a regular sleep-wake schedule to help your natural body clock. Many people can attest that this has helped them achieve a better quality of sleep in the long run.
- If you have a hard time falling asleep at night, then it may not be a good idea to nap throughout the day. If you really want to take a nap, then be sure to limit it to only around 20 minutes at a time.
- Choose a mattress that is comfortable. While many people overlook this, that your mattress can have a huge impact on the quality of your sleep. The good news is that there are so and brands to choose from so it will be easier for you to find something that will perfectly fit what you need. Some of the most common types include memory foam, latex and innerspring coils.
- If possible, avoid bringing your work to bed. This will help you to stay away from stress. Remember that your bed should be associated with tranquility and peace.
- Did you know that even your electronic devices can affect your ability to sleep? The light coming from your phones and even television can be a distraction for you. So, as much as possible, limit yourself from using them while on bed.
- Heavy curtains can also help improve the quality of your sleep. If you do not have dark curtains, then you can opt for sleeping mask instead. You can also dim your lights to help set the mood.
- Aside from the curtains and lights, the temperature of the room is also crucial. According to studies, the recommended temperature range in rooms to make it conducive for sleeping is between 60 and 67 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Experts found a link between exercise and sleep quality. Based on reports, regular exercise will help you to have better sleep at night. You do not have to perform high intensity exercises; even walking for a few minutes will help a lot.
- It is not advisable to drink and eat too much right before bedtime. You should also limit your caffeine intake. So, if you already have sleeping problems, you should avoid coffee and tea. Foods that are high in sugar and carbohydrates are also not recommended.
- Aside from food, you should also stop smoking especially hours before you retire to bed. Cigarettes are stimulants which can disrupt your sleep.
- If you find yourself hungry right before you go to bed, then just go for light snacks. Just make sure that the foods that you eat are not hard to digest.
- There are a lot of relaxation techniques that you can try to make your mind at peace. Find something that you will enjoy and see for yourself how it can change the quality of your sleep. Some techniques you can try include deep breathing exercises and visualization.
- Have a bedtime ritual to help your body and mind to sleep. For example, you can take a warm bath before retiring to bed or you can just listen to relaxing music. This activity will depend on what you find relaxing.
A revitalizing sleep or lack thereof can affect your whole day. It is therefore important to ensure that you do everything possible to achieve a relaxing and reenergizing sleep. Just follow the tips we have listed below and be amazed on how much they can help.