For centuries, prayers were completed at home, in a temple or holy place, and other designated areas. There isn’t a “right” or “wrong” way to pray, but different faiths have different beliefs when it comes to praying and participation in spiritual practices. For our fast-paced modern world, going all the way to a temple or holy place for prayer is not only impractical, but might also be impossible for some.
Luckily for us, technology has evolved to the point where we can pray from anywhere with assistance from prayer apps. These portable prayer helpers provide new and old prayers, reminders, links to audio Bibles and other pages, and so much more.
Let’s take a closer look at how prayer apps are modernizing the way we pray.
Most people you see nowadays have a smartphone or other electronic device they use to connect to the internet. The web has made the world seem like a much smaller place, connecting people from different cultures, backgrounds, religions, and geographical locations. These devices have also granted us the incredible feat of portability—keeping us connected to each other no matter where we go.
Prayer is something you can do anywhere, and with prayer apps, you’ll always have a helpful tool in the palm of your hands. Not sure what to pray for? Tired of reciting the same prayers nightly? Need some bible prayers for bedtime? Your prayer app can help with this and more.
Having a portable prayer helper can open up a whole new world of prayer. You can set custom notifications so that no matter where you go, you’ll always remember to get your prayers in. Some apps even send push notifications to your phone or desktop with a daily prayer that you can say. Others offer access to recorded sermons, bible readings, and other spiritual material for download or streaming.
Connecting With Others
The great thing about prayer is that a group of people can get together and pray for a common cause, and today’s apps are helping with that, too. If you don’t have a congregation or simply want to branch out to new people, a prayer app with a social feature can help you connect with other members of your faith. You can connect some apps to your social media accounts as well, connecting with others via sites like Facebook or Twitter.
Staying connected with your religious community is vital, and if you’re all familiar with the same prayers, things are just easier. Imagine being able to share your favorite prayers with your friends and family with the push of a button!
Churches, temples, and holy places aren’t always accessible to everyone, unfortunately. Those without transportation or who have medical issues may struggle to make it to church, and won’t get to hear the sermon, learn new prayers, or connect with others that share their faith.
This is another reason why modern apps are so impressive. For the people who don’t have access to church or social groups, apps can help keep them connected. You can stream live sermons or listen to recorded ones, download videos of your favorite preachers, learn new prayers and share them with others, and acquire a general sense of belonging in a new online community.
Top Prayer Apps Today
There are hundreds of prayer apps available today, but we’ve picked out just a few we think you’ll enjoy. Take a look at these five.
1. Pray.com/Pray: Listen to renowned pastor Sam Rodriguez give an impassioned sermon from the comfort of your home, experience the beauty of a new daily prayer each day, or stream/download James Earl Jones’ audio bible with the Pray.com app.
2. Prayer Guide: This app offers a comprehensive list of prayers and is your guide to praying, offering new prayers to God, and connecting with the almighty himself.
3. PrayerMate: With this app, you can set alarms to remind you to pray, choose specific prayers to say based on your needs, and more. PrayerMate is your personal prayer helper.
4. Echo: It’s not always easy to find time to pray, especially for busy moms, professionals, and important ladies. Echo is built specifically for women, and can send you reminders to pray at any time.
5. Ora: Ora is the Facebook of prayer apps, allowing you to connect with fellow Christians around the globe and engage in group prayer sessions. Share your favorite prayers with others or join a local congregation.
A Changing World
As technology continues to evolve, so too will the way we pray and connect with others of the faith. Using apps gives you accessibility, portability, and a social aspect that hasn’t been available in the past. You don’t even have to step foot inside a temple or church, and you’ll be able to get a similar experience by downloading sermons, saying daily prayers, and getting reminders to pray.