My Abuser Filed an Order For Protection Against Me – What Do I Do Now?

No one should tolerate abuse. It can be classified in various forms like physical abuse, emotional abuse, and sexual assault. Even stalking and disturbing a person’s peace can be considered abuse. 

A person dealing with abuse has the right to seek legal help and get a protective order against the abuser without their presence at the court. Although a protective order does not mean permanent protection, it prohibits the abuser from harassing, molesting, and abusing the victim who has filed for the order for protection.

A Pennsylvania protection from abuse defense lawyer can be contacted if you are in an abusive relationship with someone or a spouse has abused you because a lawyer can help you legally.

What to do if an abuser files protective order against you:

In some cases, an abuser may try to make an intelligent move and approach the court, stating that they need help from their “abuser.” Still, a judge who has dealt with similar abuse cases knows if an abuser is trying to turn the case against his victim and play the victim card to evade charges.

In the event where the victim and the abuser file protective orders on each other, the court gives a special order called a “mutual restraining order,” which means both the parties have restraining orders on each other. They cannot enter the premises of each other.

Although the court might have issued restraining orders to the victim and the abuser simultaneously, the judge has to state the police stating which of the two parties is the abuser so that a police force can come to the victim’s rescue when they are abused.

Additionally, legal advice usually offered by the court states that even if an abuser files protective order against you, you are expected to follow the standard protocols, including attending the hearing. If not, the court may automatically conclude that you are the abuser.

Therefore, an abuser might also use the jurisdiction by filing orders against you before reaching the court for legal help, which can also be considered abuse. In such cases, it can be complicated, and you might feel vulnerable wondering what to do. Hence, approaching an attorney who specializes in protection from abuse is recommended.

Written by Johnny Steele