Marijuana Toxicity in Dogs Increased Following Widespread Cannabis Legalization

As more states legalize the use of recreational marijuana,  incidents of pot poisoning among dogs are also growing.

This was reported by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

The  call volume for cannabis ingestion increased from 1,436 to 3,923 cases between 2017 and 2020.

A fur parent from Tiburon, California recently recounted what happened to his 12-pound Chihuahua-terrier mix, Bentley, who would not say no to a hot, fresh French fries from a fast food joint.

One afternoon, he noticed that Bentley seemed to be in a haze. When the owner offered french fries, the dog turned his head and refused.

He took the dog to a veterinarian, who said that Bentley most probably picked up a discarded chocolate edible cannabis from a nearby middle school.

Although this incident is not new, experts say that the narcotic effect in dogs can be serious. It is also possible that these edibles contain chemicals other then THC which is the main psychoactive compound in cannabis.

Experts say that dog owners should seriously train their dogs how to behave inside and outside their homes.


The Fresh Toast

More And More Dogs Are Getting Accidentally Stoned As Marijuana Becomes Mainstream

The Fresh Toast – The problem is much more serious than it may sound because if a dog ingests THC-infused edible crafted for humans, the effects can be critical. – News

Read More

Veterinary Practice News

How to educate clients on CBD oil use

Both the hemp and marijuana plant have identical appearances, and both are classified as cannabis.

Read More

Elite Daily

Here’s What’s Really Happening To Your Dog When It’s High On Weed

If you dog accidentally eats some marijuana, here’s how to check if your dog is high on weed, what to expect, and if you should contact your vet.

Read More