When you are in your 20’s you tend to live in the moment without a care for what tomorrow will bring. However, maintaining good physical health requires you to plan ahead and establish a routine so you will be healthier now and in your later years. It is important to get an early start and implement healthy lifestyle habits you can carry with you as you age. It will help you build a strong foundation, so your body will be able to handle anything that comes your way. Here are 15 fitness habits you should start in your 20’s to help you achieve long-lasting health into your golden years.
1. Drink plenty of water: This is something everyone overlooks or takes for granted, yet it’s one of the most important things you can do to maintain good physical health. Get in the habit of drinking water every day: it will flush out toxins, hydrate your skin and make you feel full, so you eat less.
2. Embrace strength training: Strength training is essential to good health. It builds muscle, which helps you burn fat, boost metabolism and increases lean muscle mass, so you’re stronger and your body is tauter. Strength training also alleviates muscle aches, back pains and is conducive to a good night’s sleep. Try to circuit train or lift weights 3-4 times a week.
3. Switch up your routine: Get into the habit of varying your workouts so your body is always working at its optimal level. You may love the , but doing it as your sole means of exercise will work against you: your body will get used to the motions and as a result you’ll burn less calories and your muscle will become fatigued from the repetition. Try other activities to engage all your muscles, which challenge your body and make it work harder. Try to switch your exercise routine every 4-6 weeks.
4. Learn to take it easy: It is vital to your health and your fitness plan to get into the habit of taking a day to rest. Working out 7 days a week can cause injuries: your muscles need a day to rest and recuperate in order to work properly.
5. Learn how to work out the right way: Circuit training or weight lifting will not benefit you if you do the moves incorrectly. Resist the urge to rush through your sets: performing these exercises slowly and correctly will enable them to work for you and improve your health.
6. Learn how to eat after a workout: It is important to refuel after you exercise: your body needs both carbohydrates and proteins within 30 minutes of your workout. You can check out the list of foods containing carbohydrates that support healthy weight loss. Protein repairs muscles and carbs replenish you, so eat a healthy combo of the two so your body is ready to go the next day.
8. Make exercising a part of your routine: Pick the time of day that is best for you to work out and then stick with it. Just like you get up for work every day at the same time you must establish your exercise regimen as a part of your everyday life.
9. Learn yoga or pilates: either one of these will help strengthen your core and elongate your spine, which will come in handy as you age. They will also combat the stress sitting at a desk all day puts on your back.
10. Listen to your body: Your body will let you know when something is wrong, so don’t ignore those twinges and pangs, especially if they don’t go away with traditional treatment.
11. Surround yourself with health-conscious people: Your friends don’ have to be obsessed with the gym, but if all they do is party or have lots of unhealthy eating habits, chances are being around them will deter you from staying on the right path.
12. Try new things: Trying activities you would never think of, like a 10 K marathon or a mud race will help you figure out what you like and what you don’t, so you can come up with a routine you’ll stick with. Plus doing an activity you love motivates you.
13. Invest in workout gear: Proper workout clothes will keep you comfortable while you exercise: they will wick away sweat and lay correctly so they don’t impede your form. Improper clothing can distract you or make you too uncomfortable to work out. You should ensure to include best exercises for healthy lifestyle. Ensure to avoid the common exercise mistakes thereby avoiding any serious health risks.
14. Change your running shoes: switch your shoes every few months to avoid injuries or fungal problems. Your feet sweat, which can penetrate your sneakers and cause bacteria to grow. Plus, old sneakers don’t give you the right support.
15. Love what you do: Whatever routine you adopt, make sure you have fun doing it, otherwise you’ll never stick with it.