This clip from the Battleship Blu-ray special features is a TG Daily exclusive.
The short video, a portion of a much longer clip, provide a brief explanation of “Goldilocks Planet,” a term used by scientists and astronomers in the film.
Director/producer Peter Berg wants to make sure we know that this isn’t something he made up, it’s a real term that real scientists use. He also explains how Stephen Hawking’s opinions of the SETI program were an influence on the plot of the film.
Battleship is loosely based upon a tactical guessing game of the same name published by Hasbro. It stars Taylor Kitsch as a young Navyman thrown into command during the crucial stage of an alien invasion, during which the crew of a cruiser has to spend a lot of time guessing about their enemies intentions, and eventually get to spend some time in the titular ship type.
The synopsis is thus:
Peter Berg (Hancock, The Kingdom, “Friday Night Lights”) directs and produces Battleship, the epic-scale action-adventure that James Rocchi, MSN Movies calls, “A big, bold blast! Packed with brains and heart, and explosively fun.” Taylor Kitsch plays Lieutenant Alex Hopper, a naval weapons officer assigned to destroyer USS John Paul, and humanity’s last hope in the face of a global alien invasion. Alexander Skarsgård (“True Blood,” Melancholia) is Hopper’s older brother, Stone, Commanding Officer of USS Sampson; global music superstar Rihanna makes her motion-picture debut as Petty Officer Second Class Cora Raikes, Hopper’s crewmate and a weapons specialist on USS John Paul Jones; Brooklyn Decker (Just Go With It) is Sam Shane, Hopper’s fiancée and a physical therapist specializing in the rehabilitation of military combat veterans; Tadanobu Asano (Thor), is Captain Yugi Nagata, commanding officer of the Japanese destroyer Myoko and Hopper’s archrival; and Academy Award® nominee Liam Neeson (The Grey, Taken) plays Hopper and Stone’s superior (and Sam’s father), Admiral Shane, Commander of the Pacific Fleet.
Here is a full list of the features which will be available on the Blu-ray (The last four on the list will also be available on the DVD):
- Alternate Ending Pre-visualization with commentary by Peter Berg
- The Visual Effects of Battleship – From ground-breaking water-simulation programs to cutting-edge motion capture, see how the team at Industrial Light & Magic pushes the boundaries of visual effects to bring the aliens to life.
- All Access with Director Peter Berg – Join director Peter Berg as he gives fans an in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the making of the movie.
- USS Missouri VIP Tour – Come aboard the historic “Mighty Mo” for an exclusive tour with director Peter Berg and actual Navy veterans as they reveal some of the coolest facts and amazing action that has graced the decks of this legendary ship.
- Commander Pete – Watch as director Peter Berg energizes the cast and crew with his endless enthusiasm and relentless good humor.
- And with UNIVERSAL’S SECOND SCREEN, viewers can enjoy an innovative and interactive viewing experience, that allows them to control, interact and explore Battleship with groundbreaking features right on a networked tablet or computer, in synchronization with the movie on the television screen! While the movie plays, experience features such as:
- Alien Tech 3D Model Turntable Explosions: During the movie, 3D models of the aliens and the shredder become available to the user to view at various angles. For instance, as the user turns the Regent Alien, the armor flies off in parts and then re-assembles. (Exclusive to Second Screen.)
- All Access with Director Peter Berg: Viewers get an all access look at the making of the film featuring interviews with cast and crew.
- Flick View: Interact with the movie, move content from the Tablet to the TV screen, and compare storyboards, animatics, and other executing content by “Flicking” them from on their tablet to their TV screen, simply by gesturing their fingers upwards on their tablets.
- UltraViolet: The revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows, store them in the cloud, and instantly stream and download to computers, tablets and smartphones. Consumers can now truly enjoy their movies anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice. Currently available in the United States only.
- Digital Copy: Viewers can redeem a digital version of the full-length movie from a choice of retail partners to watch on an array of electronics and portable devices including computers, iPad®, iPhone, iPod touch, Android and more!
- pocket BLU App: The popular free pocket BLU app for smartphones is now even better with newly updated versions for iPad, Android tablets, PC and Macintosh computers, with features made especially to take advantage of the devices’ larger screens and high resolution displays.
- Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live functions with ease.
- Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.
- Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
- Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
- Keyboard: Entering data is fast and easy with your device’s intuitive keyboard.
- BD-LIVE: Access the BD-Live Center through your Internet-connected player to access the latest trailers, exclusive content and more!
- Preparing for Battle – Hear how Hollywood teamed up with the US Navy to transform a beloved board game into a big-screen blockbuster.
- All Hands on Deck: The Cast – Witness the actors getting into the military mindset and Navy veterans having their time in the spotlight in this salute to the people at the heart of the story.
- Shooting at Sea – Experience the crew taking on the daunting challenge of shooting on the open ocean on their “soundstage at sea.”
- All Aboard the Fleet – Cast and crew members share their experiences shooting on the ships, particularly the historic USS Missouri.
The Battleship Blu-ray/DVD combo pack will be available on August 28th, 2012, and can be preordered over on Amazon. Keep an Eye on TG Daily for a review of the Blu-ray coming over the next few days.