Sometimes, you just want to be free and take a somewhere, or you may encounter an emergency that requires you to travel. Whatever the reason may be, it can be a little hectic to travel on short notice, so we’ve come up with a few tips and tricks on how to make your next spontaneous journey a little more comfortable.
How to buy a flight ticket at the airport
You can go to the ticketing counter of the airline to purchase a flight ticket on your day of departure. If the flight is full, then you may be placed on a wait-list so you can board if there are no-shows.
However, ticket prices at the counter are usually the highest so we recommend you check out travel websites for cheaper fares. Sometimes, an airline will reserve the lowest fares for its own website. In these cases, book directly on the airline’s website when you want to travel and arrive at the airport with the ticket confirmation. This way, you can travel instantly while still paying lower fares.
Where to get bare essentials
When you travel somewhere else, you will typically be there longer than a day. You may need to get some bare necessities such as clothing, food, and accommodation on the go. Here are a few ways you can get those done on the move:
- Book a hotel room while you are waiting to board your flight to save time and ensure that you have somewhere to rest when you arrive.
- When in the airport, buy a set of clothes or two to make sure you can stay nice and fresh the next day.
- Plan ahead – if you know when you’ll be heading back, book a return flight earlier to save on fares.
- To get the best deals on airport food, purchase your meals before passing through security checks and immigration control.
What you must bring with you to the airport
While it is true that you can buy tickets at the airport and travel without bringing any bags with you, there are always a few non-airport essentials you will need to begin your journey:
- Valid passport for international departures, or
- Valid government-issued ID for domestic departures.
- An internationally accepted credit card with sufficient credit limit to pay for travel expenses.
- Entry visa for the country you are visiting, if it requires a visa for entry.
- Means to exchange destination currency such as cash or traveller’s cheques.
Do you have a destination in mind?
If you’re looking for a weekend getaway during off-season periods, chances are the airlines will have some sort of flash deal for certain undersold destinations. If you’re not too picky about where you want to go, these deals could be great when combined with cheap hotel flash deals as well. Just make sure you have the right clothes packed before you leave.
Compensation from airline companies
Flight delays can occur regardless of when you buy your ticket. If your flight has been delayed, cancelled, rerouted, or if your cabin class has been downgraded, you may be eligible for compensation from the airline under European law. For further details or to make a claim, go here.
GIVT has all the information you will need to take a spontaneous trip in comfort. If you experience delays, cancellations, or any other impediment to travel, GIVT can help you make a hassle-free claim.