Chicago (IL) – Over the past few years, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has sued more than 30,000 individuals for making copyrighted music available for download from their computers and P2P networks. Most of the cases have been settled for a few thousand dollars prior to reaching the courtroom. But the the RIAA has a new strategy that would entail Internet Service providers notifying individuals alleged to be infringing copyright laws. Individuals accused of three offenses will face losing their internet access. But, of course, that strategy will not stop current lawsuits.
Last Friday, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) announced that it would no longer be pursuing their lawsuits for individuals who have infringed on music copyrights, and also stated that the association had not sued anyone in months.
However, an attorney claims that the RIAA is dishonest and dozens of lawsuits had actually been filed in the past couple of weeks. RIAA spokesperson Cara Duckworth told Wired that any of the lawsuits filed recently had been in the “pipeline” for months and would proceed as planned.
“We are not initiating any new lawsuits and have not since August. Any lawsuit that has been filed since then is a named lawsuit or those for which we’ve received identifying information about the ISP (or issued the subpoena for). Simply put, we are continuing those that have already been in the pipeline but nothing new has been initiated since August,” Duckworth told Wired.
She stated that some of the lawsuits are still being pursued, because there was no settlement prior to going to court.
It has yet to be determined when the new strategy will take effect, and how many more individuals will be taken to court before this begins.